Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Adolf in Vanity

I’m not really sure what were supposed to do with these blogs so I’m just going to tell what I think about what we read in class, or each week, I’ll also discuss what we did in class. So the first story I’ll talk about is Becoming Adolf. It was written by Rich Cohen and featured in Vanity Fair. One thing we went over was what the essay was featured in. Vanity Fair is somewhat of a fashion magazine. Its one of the magazines you see on the shelves at Wal-Mart. Another thing about Vanity Fair is that they sometime have A-list celebrity’s interviews that wouldn’t be granted to many other magazines. They also have news stories in the magazine, such as on the war, or on a killing that’s on trial, or the diamond trade and death and violence that accompany it. My mother and grandmother both have Vanity Fair delivered to their houses so I’ll look at it whenever I’m over at their house. So I think Becoming Adolf is very fitting for Vanity Fair, it deals with politics and fashion, which is how I see Vanity Fair. It is political in the very obvious way that it is dealing with Adolf Hitler and he has been a very recognizable political symbol today, for years to come, and years ago. As for fashion, that could confuse some. But mustaches are very much a part of fashion. The toothbrush mustache, like Hitler’s will probably never come back into style. Just because it was worn by such a person as Hitler was, a taboo was put on it. Also knobs or whatever that mustache is called will never be back in style because they’re just ugly.

One thing I kept thinking about the entire time I was reading this essay was a story I had heard was a family naming their child Adolf Hitler. After that news came out I remember all the outrage that came out. Because who would name their child that. Their reasoning was that no one would have the same name but so many people were outraged just because he’d done so wrong. I just thought it was weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment